Monday 29 April 2013

Wow! Loving the widefield!

Well I thought I'd try something new tonight, as a change from the rigours and constant setbacks of deep space guided imaging. I set of on a brief sojourn into the garden, taking nought but a camera, a small, cheap lens and a few whatsists and doodads upon which to balance my meagre equipment.

Well, I must say that despite the simplicity of the arrangements I was gob-smacked by the rather beautiful results, if indeed I do say so myself. Laying down the thousands of pounds worth of equipment with which I have encumbered myself of late, was a decision most rewarding, as I hope to show with these quick pictures. Sure they are noisy, oft the focus soft, and indeed there is a hint of trailing in the stars, but they truly show what can be done with the most rudimentary of equipment (for example, the camera lens was propped up on my wallet and a bunch of keys in place of a real tripod!).

Here we go:

The view over the Dyfi Estuary - 29/042013

The Plough Asterism in Ursa Major - Note the double stars Mizar and Alcor in the 'handle'.

The sky to the west

The sky to the west with mountains, the estuary, and a really unfortunately placed telegraph wire!
Quick info for posterity: All taken at ISO 3200 with 30 sec exposures. Canon 1100D with kit 18-55 lens. Booyah!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Guy. I'll be following this page very closely in future for sure. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James, thanks for the comments! I'll try to keep going, despite the frequent setbacks :)

    ReplyDelete

Please refrain from using strong or offensive language on this page - its entirely feasible my Mum might read this, and I dont want you giving her any new words she doesnt know already ;)

Seriously though, please remain respectful to others and of other peoples opinions. Happy posting!